Tuesday, May 19, 2009

frequently asked questions

Who is eligible for assistance from the foundation?

Any family who has a child who is outgrowing, or has outgrown a traditional convertible child restraint which harnesses to 40lbs, is eligible to apply for assistance. The family MUST be in receipt of government financial assistance. Examples of this are WIC, Food Stamps, Medicaid, SSI etc.

How do I apply for assistance from the foundation?

Please complete an application form at the foundation's website - here.

What documentation do I need to send to prove my receipt of financial assistance?

Scans of WIC folders, Medicaid cards, Food Stamp vouchers etc. may be emailed to the foundation at info@kyledavidmiller.org. Photocopies may be mailed to:

Laura Bower
Executive Director
Kyle David Miller Foundation
4 Marks Court
Londonderry, NH 03053

Where can I get assistance with an Infant seat or a Convertible Seat?

The foundation does not provide these types of seats. Please contact your local Safe Kids Coalition to find out information about car seat donation programs in your local area. You can find the contact details for your State or local coalition from this website - http://www.usa.safekids.org/.

When does a child outgrow a harnessing seat?

A 5 point harness seat can be outgrown in one of three ways (whichever comes first):
  1. The child reaches the maximum weight for the harness rating.
  2. The top of the child's shoulders creep above the top harness slot in the child restraint.
  3. The top of the child's ears are level with the top of the shell of the seat.

I would like to help the foundation - how can I do that?

The foundation is solely funded through monetary donations. You can donate to the foundation using PayPal through the button on this blog, or you can donate using Debit/Credit card at the foundation website here. If you would like to send a check, please make it out to the Kyle David Miller Foundation and mail it to:

Laura Bower
Executive Director
Kyle David Miller Foundation
4 Marks Court
Londonderry, NH 03053

If you are in the market for a car seat or baby products, please consider shopping at Hip Monkey - the proceeds from ALL purchases at this site go to the foundation, and in turn directly to providing car seats to families in need.

How long is the current waiting list?

Our waiting time is currently ~ 9 months until we are able to assist families.

What happens once we are approved and our name comes to the top of the list?

When we are in a position to assist you, you will be contacted by the foundation requesting updated information on your child's height and weight and any vehicle or contact detail changes that may have occurred during the waiting period. The foundation requests a small donation to help cover our shipping costs, and then a car seat(s) will be shipped to a Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST) in your local area. Once the seat arrives with the CPST, you should call to schedule an installation/education appointment to receive your seat.


ContractorChris said...

I have two Britax Regents. Never been in an accident, both are in good shape. Paid $270 each. Is there anyone in Los Angeles area that could use them? All recalls were addressed and everything is in good shape.